National units of competency
- PUASAR032 Undertake vertical rescue
- PUASAR022 Participate in a rescue operation
Vertical Rescuetraining encompasses preparing and responding to an emergency requiring a vertical rescue, appropriate risk assessment & risk control requirements and the skills and knowledge required to perform a vertical rescue.
Topics include and are not limited to:
- Check, service and maintain vertical rescue equipment
- Control infection
- Escort stretchers in raising and lowering operations
- Establish, maintain, monitor and use:
- Ascent and descent systems
- Safety systems
- Stretcher rigging
- Implement safe and effective scene management procedures
- Manage edge protection
- Treat and package casualties
- Undertake scene assessment and reporting
- Use personal protective and rescue equipment within its safe work limitations
- Wear appropriate personal protective and rescue equipment correctly
- Work in a team
- Breaking strains
- Casualty assessment and packaging
- Emergency management and interagency arrangements
- Equipment characteristics
- Operation of high lines (span line, tyrolean etc.)
- Operational briefing and debriefing procedures
- Organisational procedures for cleaning and discarding equipment in terms of environmental management and sustainability
- Organisational procedures for operating vertical rescue equipment
- Personal hygiene protocols
- Principles of suspension trauma
- Reconnaissance techniques
- Relevant legislation
- Relevant occupational health and safety (OH&S) principles and practices
- Safe working loads of equipment
- Safety factors and safe working loads
- Signs and symptoms of operational stress
- Vertical rescue concepts and practices
- Voice, whistle and other communication systems
Training conducted by experienced confined space and rescue specialists
Up to 4 days (32 hours) classroom, practical training and assessment All equipment used will be supplied by Zokal Safety Training.
Participants require refresher training annually in order to maintain satisfactory levels of emergency preparedness and participant competence.
Highly recommended: RIIWHS204E Work safely at heights certification
Prerequisites HLTAID011 Provide first aid (Evidence of this training must be provided prior to attending this course)
Industry Skills Councils have mapped this course between level 2 and 3 of the Australian Core Skills Framework. It is recommended that participants provide evidence of their Foundation Skill Level prior to the commencement of the course. It is recommended that participants contact Zokal prior to their course if they have any concerns about their ability to complete the training.
See Student handbook for additional information.
Number of Participants: 10
Requirement: Provide Unique Student Identifier (USI number) and ID
Equipment: All training materials are supplied by Zokal Safety Training
Meals: Full Day Courses – Lunch will be provided and light refreshments will be provided at morning break (only on our premises).
Dress: Participants are required to wear clothing appropriate for the workplace and covered shoes. Students to bring own Gloves if they require them. All other equipment used will be supplied by Zokal Safety Training.
PARTICIPANTS MUST BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE IN ENGLISH, AND MUST BE ABLE TO FILL OUT ALL NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION.
This is a competency based programme with progressive assessment throughout the course, including demonstration of written and oral questions relating to underpinning knowledge. Please let us know if there are any issues that your Zokal trainer should be aware of. These may include:
- Language, Literacy and Numeracy
- Physical limitations, such as hearing, vision or mobility concerns
- Anything that may affect your experience in the training course
Nationally – recognised accreditation such as a wallet card and Statement of Attainment Certificate as outlined above will be issued on satisfactory completion of all assessments, to successful participants
You can send us a message with the form below to get more information on Vertical Rescue Training - 4 days or details on alternate courses if there are currently no dates available. You may also make a Corporate Enquiry.